TACOS. My husband loves tacos. Although, he uses soft taco shells instead of hard taco shells, so to me they are burritos. He calls them nachos. His whole family does. I don’t get it. Tacos, burritos, or nachos — call it what you will, but it’s good.
I don’t like hamburger. Most people can’t believe it, but I just don’t. It’s strange, I like steak or roast, but get that hamburger away from me. So instead of putting hamburger in our tacos, I wanted to try a Mexican chicken. And that’s how this recipe came to be.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken tenderloin breasts, defrosted
- Taco seasoning (I used “Hot & Spicy”)
- Medium salsa
- One lime (just the juice of it)
- Two jalapeno peppers, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
First, defrost that chicken. Then pour the salsa into a bowl. I didn’t have as much salsa as I wanted, but it still worked. Juice the lime into the salsa.
In the same bowl, pour in the taco seasoning. I did not realize I bought “Hot and Spicy” seasoning mix — oops, so I added some more cilantro. We like spicy, but I didn’t want to be gulping down milk with my tacos! It ended up just right. Lots of spicy, but not burn-your-throat spicy.
Chop up the jalapeno peppers. If you don’t like things very spicy, you can completely leave out the peppers.
Next, chop up the cilantro. Like I said before, I added extra cilantro to take down the level of spice. You can choose how spicy you want your chicken. Extra spicy – use “hot and spicy” taco seasoning and 1 cup cilantro, plus the jalapeno peppers. Less Spicy – use regular taco seasoning (mild) and 1/2 cup cilantro.
Mix it all together in one bowl. It looks and smells awesome! I wish I could have a scratch and sniff plugin for your screen!
I put some of the salsa mixture on the bottom of the crock pot. Then I placed the defrosted chicken inside and spooned the mixture over all the chicken.
Cook the chicken in your crock pot for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Shred it and spoon the sauce over it.
Then add it into your tacos/nachos/burritos!
- 4-6 chicken breast tenderloins, defrosted
- 24 oz jar medium salsa
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix (mild, medium or hot and spicy)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- Defrost the chicken
- Pour the salsa into a bowl
- Juice the lime into the salsa
- Pour taco seasoning into salsa
- Chop jalapeno peppers, pour into salsa mixture
- Chop cilantro, pour into salsa mixture
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Spoon mixture over chicken in crock pot
- Cook for 6-8 hours
I adapted this recipe from Key Ingredient, which looks like a pretty nice website if you want to check it out.